Fire Inspections and Enforcement
Annual fire prevention inspections are performed throughout the town by members of the Mooresville Fire-Rescue’s (MFR) Fire Marshal’s Office.
PERIODIC FIRE CODE INSPECTIONS
Periodic fire code inspections are required by the North Carolina State Fire Prevention Code for all premises, except one and two-family dwellings, and are scheduled based on your type of occupancy as defined by the Fire Code. The examples below illustrate the minimum frequency rate of inspections; however, it is not an all-inclusive list.
Informal Internal Review of Inspection Decisions (PDF)
- Assembly Areas - Restaurants, clubs, gyms, places of entertainment, etc.
- Hazardous Materials Facilities - Hazardous materials, flammable liquids, explosives facilities, etc.
- High-Rise Buildings – All use types.
- Institutional Facilities - Hospitals, nursing homes, licensed care facilities, jails, etc.
- Residential Locations – Apartments, hotels, motels, dormitories, etc.
- Educational Facilities – Private schools, etc. public schools are inspected every six months.
- Factory / Industrial Facilities – Manufacturing and assembly plants, etc.
- Assembly Areas – With an occupant load of less than 100
- Business Locations – Banks, barber & beauty shops, gas stations & self-service, educational occupancies above the 12th grade, print shops, professional service offices (architects, attorneys, dentists, physicians, engineers), etc.
- Mercantile Facilities - Department stores, drug stores, markets, retail or wholesale stores, etc.
- Miscellaneous Facilities – Tanks, silos, greenhouses, etc.
- Religious Facilities - Churches and synagogues
- Storage Facilities – Warehouses, garages, hangers, etc.
If you observe or are concerned about a potential fire code violation, please follow the process listed below:
- To submit a fire code complaint during regular business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.), call 704-664-1338.
- If a life-safety hazard exists outside of regular business hours and requires immediate attention, call 704-664-1338 or 704-878-3039.
- If a non-life safety hazard exists outside of regular business hours, complete the Citizen Fire Code Complaint/Citation. A fire inspector will investigate the complaint the following business day. Please be as specific as possible with complaint details.
The Department of Social Services (DSS) may contact the Fire Marshal’s Office to conduct fire inspections, as required. Occupants should have the correct paperwork from DSS prior to the inspection and have their DSS worker present at the inspection.
For more information, call 704-660-7108.
Single-family and two-family dwellings are not required by the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code to be inspected. However, since a large percentage of fires occur in the home Mooresville Fire-Rescue offers residential home inspections, upon request. To request a residential inspection, call the Fire Marshal’s Office at 704-660-7108.