East Center Avenue Stormwater Improvements
PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE: An informational public meeting will be held on Thursday, December 14 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the Executive Board Room at Town Hall.
To provide feedback on this project, submit a comment to Ashton Walker, Engineering Services Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2024.
The Town of Mooresville was awarded $4.3 million dollars in grant funds from the NC Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ) Division of Water Infrastructure (DWI) through the Local Assistance for Stormwater Infrastructure Investments (LASII) Program funded by the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). The grant awards include $3.9 million for construction awarded in the Fall 2022 grant cycle, and an additional $400,000 for planning and design awarded in the Spring 2023 grant cycle.
The project area is along East Center Avenue in downtown and is bounded by N. Church Street and Statesville Avenue, including area along Dye Creek between East Center Avenue and East McLelland Avenue.
This project will incorporate green infrastructure design elements to reduce localized flooding in the area, align sections of stormwater pipe with diverting flow along East Center Avenue from the burdened side streets between N. Church Street and Statesville Avenue and integrate nature-based solutions to connect trails to the downstream park and nature preserve.
Proposed improvements include:
- Replacing the culvert carrying Dye Creek under East Center Avenue
- Rehabilitating and upgrading the culvert carrying Dye Creek under East McLelland Avenue
- Regenerative Stormwater Conveyances (RSCs) in the area adjacent to the creek near the corner of East Center Avenue and Elm Street
- Storm drainage conveyance infrastructure in East Center Avenue to redirect flow to the RSCs
- Stream bank stabilization and floodplain benching along Dye Creek between East Center Avenue and East McLelland Avenue
- Pedestrian connection from East Center Avenue at Elm Street to Willow Valley Park, including crosswalk across East Center Avenue to connect to Liberty Park greenway
- Replacement of waterline in East Center Avenue along project limits
- Addition of bicycle lanes in East Center Avenue along project limits