Local History and Archives
"Making The Past Present"
The Local History and Archives Division of Mooresville Public Library collects, preserves, and makes available material of historical and cultural value to the citizens of Mooresville, Iredell County, and Western North Carolina.
Researchers at our facility can access local history documents and books; genealogical books and family papers; rare books; and archives, which include such diverse formats as photographs, films, videos, manuscripts, first editions, out-of-print works, census indexes, oral histories, cemetery records, maps, phonographic records, films, and other like materials. A catalog list of our holdings can be found at Past Perfect.
Local History and Archives houses five main types of collections:
- Local History materials including, but not limited to, books documenting the history of Mooresville, Iredell, and Western North Carolina; Mooresville newspapers; store catalogs; flyers and ads; scrapbooks and yearbooks; event items; newsletters; and other documents about events in Southern Iredell County.
- Genealogy books with the histories of families connected to the local area as well as the state and region; family papers; letters; printed and unprinted histories of families.
- Rare books, including volumes special to the library and community; having historical or scholarly importance; signed copies; first editions of a well-known literary work; having limited publication; having rare subject matter; or having significant monetary value.
- Archives including, but not limited to, manuscripts; letters; maps; business records; diaries; scrapbooks; church records; postcards; family papers; newspapers; and town department and civic group records; all with ties to the local area.
- Works of art by local artists or owned by local families, including paintings and sculptures.
online Local History catalog and collections
Explore our online collections below of photographs, letters, artifacts, maps, newspapers, oral histories, etc. related to the history of Mooresville, Iredell County, and the surrounding area. More items are being added each day.
|Mooresville Public Library Local History and Archives|
These online collections explore the history of businesses, families, and Mooresville through the grouping of related materials detailing special areas or events in the history of Mooresville.
The official online catalog of Local History and Archives. Search for books, artifacts, photographs, documents and more through this online catalog.
You are invited to help build our archival collections and preserve Mooresville history!
Genealogy Research Requests
Genealogy Research Request Form is for brief inquiries about the genealogy of families from Mooresville, Iredell County, and the surrounding area. Please allow 5 business days for a response, no more than 3 requests per month.
Are you looking for the obituary of someone who died in Mooresville or southern Iredell county? Please fill out an Obituary Request Form to submit a Mooresville Tribune obituary search request.
You are invited to share your historical stories and photographs of Mooresville people, places, and events. Please note that we are interested in historical, rather than contemporary, events, particularly those including detailed background information (names, dates, etc.).
If you have photographs or other materials you would like to share, but do not have them available in a digital format, we can scan them. Please call us at 704-664-4315 or email us to schedule an appointment.
Oral History Project is an ongoing effort to collect, preserve, and promote the oral history of Mooresville and the surrounding area. If you are interested in participating or know of anyone who would like to participate in this project, please call us at 704-664-4315 or email us to schedule an appointment.